wrenchxd
Discussion
burrrrcold

2013 Chevy Trax Slow Warm up

coolant

I have a 2013 chevy Trax LTZ with 1,4 ltr turbo engine. Never had problems since new, this year it is really slow to warm up. No leaks fluid is full. Any suggestions?

Upvote
Downvote
username
Cancel
3 Replies
DailyMekanick
DailyMekanick

Sorry, the forum wouldn't let me post 1 large reply. As I was saying....

Open the hood and feel the lower radiator hose. Be careful not to get your fingers near the drive belt or radiator fan. If it is piping hot like the upper rad hose, your thermostat is sticking open. These cars take quite a while to reach temperature sufficient to open the tstat.

-lastly, with the engine running, locate the heater hoses going into the firewall. Feel these with your hand. Both the inlet and outlet should be warm. If one is hot and the other isn't, your heater core needs to be flushed.

These are just a few starting points. Hopefully they point you in the right direction.

Upvote
Comment
Downvote
burrrrcold :Cooling system and thermostat were tested, all working good. Found a bulletin from GM on this vehicle model with the 1.4ltr turbo. First, The cooling system is larger than needed for this engine, second, so when warming up turning on the interior fan acts like a second radiator. Bulletin recommends interior fan be set at first or second fan speed during warm up. No problems since following this bulletin.
DailyMekanick
DailyMekanick

Hello,

Couple different things can be happening with this situation.

I have a 2013 Sonic with the 1.4T engine. I've never been impressed with the heat output since I bought it new. However, a couple things to look for would be the following:

-coolant is up to the correct fill mark. These engines are sensitive to this in particular.

-are your climate control dials cable operated or electronic? Sometimes the temperature blend door actuator can fail and not allow the heater valve to open fully.

-check to see if the thermostat is sticking open. Most times, the check engine light will illuminate if the car detects it's taking too long for the engine to reach operating temperature.(most likely due to a faulty tstat) start the car from a cold start , run the engine for ~5 mins.

Upvote
Comment
Downvote
heresjohnny
heresjohnny

It sounds like a thermostat to me. I looked for one online they range around 75-170 bucks

Upvote
Comment
Downvote