wrenchxd
Discussion
Jake_iteasy
Jake_iteasy

What’s the best deal?

buying

Going to car auction this weekend, how do I know the car is a good deal? What kind of things should I look for?

Upvote
Downvote
username
Cancel
2 Replies
heresjohnny
heresjohnny

Car auctions have this stigma where you will get terrible deals and buy lemons. However, a little bit of preparation and preliminary research you can catch a great deal believe it or not! (Speaking from personal experience)

Here is a list of 7 (non-exhaustive) list of things I do before auctioning:

1. Most auctions allow you to come take a look and inspect the vehicle days in advance.
  2. Google common problems with that particular vehicle.
  3. With the vehicle on and running, be sure to listen for any unusual sounds coming from the engine bay or even exhaust
  4. Check for leaks once the car is turned off (oil leaks, rear-differential, transmission) 
  5. check to make sure the oil isn’t black (if it’s black than chances are the previous owner didn’t care to replace the oil and the car hasn’t been taken care properly)
  6. If you can take the vehicle for a test drive, make sure the transmission shifts correctly and doesn’t clunk during a shift (if the car is a manual, make sure the clutch isn’t slipping)
  7. Check the suspension of the vehicle. I’ll attach a video with a guide on doing so from Scotty Kilmer 

Here is another link that I found that gives a good explanation when preparing to purchase a vehicle from a car auction.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.hotcars.com/car-auction-first-tips/amp/

Happy shopping and good luck 👍 😁

Upvote
Comment
Downvote
Garage & Street
Garage & Street

make sure it is clean inside, under the hood and the underbody. Listen for noises, check for leaks, even tire wear and watch for smoke. The auction is a crap shoot but there are lots of good deals.

Upvote
Comment
Downvote