wrenchxd
Discussion
Dev
Dev

What to do after a car has been sitting for a couple years?

infiniti
g35
base
engine
oil
maintenance

I recently bought a car that’s been sitting for a long time, I’m just wondering what sort of things I should do before I start driving it a lot.

What to do after a car has been sitting for a couple years?-1016 #1-

Upvote
Downvote
username
Cancel
3 Replies
brownmangarage
brownmangarage

-Change fluids for sure

-Check the condition of anything rubber (hoses, brake lines, suspension bushings etc)

-Check the date code and condition of your tires; if they're more than 5 years old, they can be unreliable when handling. Old tires are basically what killed Paul Walker.

-Check the condition of your battery; if it's more than 5 years old, it can cause problems with starting and charging. Dead (or dying) batteries put an undue strain on the charging system, commonly causing alternators to get wiped out as well.

-Fuel/fuel lines-old gasoline is gross, smells bad, and can cause deposits everywhere it goes

Upvote
Comment
Downvote
DailyMekanick
DailyMekanick

Not sure where you're based, but here in Ontario, any time a vehicle transfers ownership, it has to pass a safety inspection in order to register it in your name.

This includes a full checkover of the car including; roadtest, light check, wipers, horn, fluid check, suspension/steering, tires and brakes, exhaust and airbags. Basically everything the car originally came equipped with has to work.

If you know how to check these things, it's a start to knowing what you're getting into before bringing it to a mechanic if you do need a safety.

Upvote
Comment
Downvote
Derby82 :In BC we don’t have the mandatory inspections unless it’s from another province. I strongly agree with DailyMekanic about the inspection. Shops will generally offer a multi-point inspection for “X” $$$